JOHN WILLIAM BEATTY, O.S.A., R.C.A.
oil on canvas
28.75 ins x 39.5 ins; 71.8 cms x 99.7 cms
J.W. Beatty (1869-1941) studied at the Académie Julian in Paris where so many other Canadian art legends received instruction. He painted alongside Tom Thomson in Algonquin Park, A.Y. Jackson in the Rockies, and occupied a studio in the Studio Building in 1914, shortly after it had been built. Yet, his greatest impact on Canadian Art is arguably the influence he had on the careers of so many emerging young talents in his role as instructor at O.C.A., where he worked from 1912-1941. Essentially, Beatty could be considered Ontario’s counterpart to William Brymner at the Art Association of Montreal just a few decades prior. While he never aspired to be a progressive artist, nonetheless, landscapes such as this fine work embody the new and prevailing spirit of the Group of Seven with its veneration for glorious subjects in nature.
Private Collection, Beaverton, ON