coloured pencil and graphite
signed, dated 1880 and inscribed "Toronto, Ont."
sheet 19.5 ins x 27 ins; 49.5 cms x 68.6 cms
The Rivet was built by W. Simons & Co. of Renfrew, Scotland in 1856, and was brought to Canada on a steamer. The Rivet was a frequent competitor over the years at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club (RCYC) in Toronto, winning the first regatta that honoured the Prince of Wales (later to be King Edward VII) in 1860, establishing the Prince of Wales Cup. This elegant boat served as a yacht until 1890, when it became a steam ferry in Hamilton until 1912. There is now a half-hull model of the Rivet on display at the RCYC, representing the legacy of the yacht as a 'cutter'.
Private Collection, Ontario
Department: Canadian Fine Art