JOHN WILLIAM BEATTY, O.S.A., R.C.A.
BROOKS FALLS, MAGNETAWAN RIVER
oil on panel
signed; titled on the reverse
10.5 ins x 13.75 ins; 26.7 cms x 34.9 cms
The Magnetawan River flows from Algonquin Park to Georgian Bay and was once used to transport logs downstream to the sawmills. The river gets its name from the Ojibway word for “swiftly flowing water.”
Beatty excelled at painting water and Brooks Falls provides strong proof of this talent.
This sketch closely relates to a major canvas in the collection of the Toronto District School Board and currently in the care of the Art Gallery of Ontario entitled Brooks Falls, Parry Sound, 1932.
The Falls are about 70 kilometres north of Bracebridge.
John Egerton Lovering, Toronto (acquired directly from the artist)
Private Collection, Toronto (by descent)